phone: +1-868-464-3747
e-mail: rholder@lab206studios.com

10.22.2010

The Local ASS-thetics

So I'm really gonna try to update this every week as well as work out the kinks with this template. I hope I can come up with interesting enough posts to make the weekly quota. :D

I guess the main thing that has been nagging at me (a lot more now than usual) is this question of local and what it is, what identifys' it as such, what is or isn't local, and I'm trying to not only talk about it from a general standpoint but from a more specific view point and that of artistic creativity.

I recently went to a screening of sorts. The screening was about local animation for the last decade. Which I was very lucky to be a part of, simply by luck of the draw, but give jack his jacket.
After they showed the various films, an ad hoc panel discussion was proposed, so I along with several other animators/ film makers went up.
Now not to go into too much detail about what transpired but the revolving question of what is local culture and how do you go about portraying it through the medium of animation came up and was circulating in the room, but why stop there, how do you go about portraying it through the medium, of animation, film, comics, graphic novels, illustration etc, and portraying it to an extent where it is accepted throughout.

To me that in itself is a prob, the general populace and its creating something that needs to be accepted, this localise it campaign that's currently goin on has oneika marahaj aka nikki minaj headlining. Now I was talkin to a freind abt this and we were debating, yet again, what is "local", if your'e a local talent singing foreign genres but from a local persepctive does that mean ure not local or does it?
Nikki for all intents and "birthrights" is by all means and if we go with that previous mindset is NOT a local act, but i digress.
The point I was tryin to get across was that of persepctive. Personal perspective IS to me local perspective to a greater extent.
We are still a young nation and still very much finding ourselves and our identity, not to mention that are already comprised of several other cultures that have all amalgamated into one that is distinctly "trini" whatever that is defined as.
Which is why I was kinda taken aback by one guys comment at the screening that he hates that word fusion when describing local ascetics, but in my oh so humble opinion our culture in essence is a fusion.
Perspective at the end of the day is to me what truly matters. Who's to say we can't create a superman/ batman story or romeo or Juliet or even a scott pilgirm as long as we tell it from our persepctive, our lives infulence our stories, and the thing is our stories can very much be trancendal, something that happens to you, has probably happend to someone is china, and malaysia and alaska, the overall themes remain the same althought the circumstances may be alil differenet.
I guess my closing statement will be represent you and your belief systems and write, draw, film from your own persepctive, whatever that may be.
A great article on ALL creative Work is derivative is a very interesting read, and a fitting end to this post


No comments:

Post a Comment