phone: +1-868-464-3747
e-mail: rholder@lab206studios.com

10.30.2010

Randomosity

I had one of the most amazing weekends of my life last week, I had the luck of atteneding a workshop by THE Tony hall,genius of a man. I gonna share alil bit of the snippets of overwheiming thoughts that flowed through my head being in that man,s presence.

Random Thought #1
Art is art, creation is creation. An artist is a creative person and animator, writer, illustrator stripped down to their roots is a creative person. What we need to remember is that at the end of it all we are creative people who do these things, the title doesn't necesssarily define us but the act of creation, what we create does. If I wasn't animating, I'd be drawing, if I wasn't drawing I'd be writing, if I was writing I'd prolly be telling the stories and comcepts that fill my head, at the end of the day my title doesn't define me but my creative ideas do. I always say that all artists are the same ppl, we go about creating in a similar way, we take in influences, appropriate from them and create, the only thing that seperates us from one another is medium used to express ourselves.

Have a sense of who you are, you are you, you are local, you are creative

Random Thought #2
I sometimes feel like less of an artist, and I say that sparingly, because of the type of illustration stuff I do, it isn't considered to be fine art, painting, sculpting etc. But the thing is when I see other international illustrators, cartoonists, character desingers I have no problem calling them artists, so why do I sometimes have a problem attributing that same title to myself. I can be all esoteric and say all creative people are artists and in essence is true. I enjoy wht I'm doing, haven't quite figured out a way to make a living off of it but I will.


Random Thought #3

So as i was watching project runway, yes i fucking watch project runway, as i said before, an artist is an artist and fashion designers are artists too , but this gleaming thought of wisdom came out of it "Fashion isn't for sissies", and i thought but I think that's the same for every artist, the ability to open yourselves up to critique and criticism and have the ability to look at the world and make a statement about it regardless of what everyone may think takes courage that a lot of people don't have, it takes risk an balls to do some things that artists do.

3 comments:

  1. clap clap, had to google Tony Hall tho...

    *its okay to watch project runway, just dont start walking all funny and gesticulating necessarily lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to see yuh on the blogging scene

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are lots of illustrators I consider artists, I just don't think people who take photos of their friends in poses is art O_O. It's... kinda too fake... bleh I dunno. But I think art is extremely liberal and can transcend most boundaries. It's up to the viewer. ^^

    ReplyDelete